Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Philadelphia joining kooks

From KYW.COM website:

It seems that Philadelphia is trying to join the KOOKS on the left coast in trying to ban plastic bags:
(CBS 3) PHILADELPHIA A Philadelphia Councilman is planning on introducing a bill that would restrict the use of plastic shopping bags. “Every single day when I go home, I find three bags or more on my sidewalk or stuck in the little bushes outside my house,” said City Councilman Frank DiCicco.

DiCicco wants to ban the petroleum based bags used by large supermarkets and drug and convenience stores. San Francisco has already passed a similar law banning the use of plastic bags, which inspired the idea.

Businesses would be forced to offer recyclable paper, compostable plastic or reusable bags. “When this stuff gets into our sewer system, it eventually winds up in our rivres and ultimately ends up in our oceans and streams,” said DiCicco.
WOW. What can I say. Dude, how about picking up the bags and throwing them away? Or, you can practice what you preach and consider yourself blessed that you are now 3-4 bags richer. You can wash out those bags and take them to your grocery store and reuse them again. I think we need that kind of law. Mandatory plastic bag reuse. If you don't pick up a bag off the ground when you come up upon it, then you will be fined for failure to recycle.

Actually, I think I recall a story similar to this recently. Let me see if I can find it.

No comments: